mailserver on proxmox ve

Rajesh M

Jan 29, 2017
hi

we are planning to install our mail servers on proxmox ve

currently we are having around 12000 email users with around 6 tb of data spread between 4 different DELL servers,

Per server configuration is as follows
6 core processor with hyperthreading, 16 gb ram,
1 X 600 gb 15k rpm drive for os and qmail queue,
1 X 2000 gb drives for mail data
2 X 2000 gb for backup

centos 6, running qmail, spamassassin, mysql database server, dovecot.

email traffic per server is around 80000 emails per day

we wish to migrate to proxmox-ve with high-availablity with pro-support

QUESTION 1
could you please guide me on the system hardware requirements for the above - cpu, ram, data storage, etc. i am looking at around 10 tb mail data storage from future scalability

QUESTION 2
Also i have several windows servers and vps. Can proxmox seamlessly handled these too with HA ?

thanks for your time,
rajesh

Hi,

we wish to migrate to proxmox-ve with high-availablity with pro-support
Look here for pro support: https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/pricing
could you please guide me on the system hardware requirements for the above - cpu, ram, data storage, etc. i am looking at around 10 tb mail data storage from future scalability
As you need a shared storage setup to ensure high availability I'd suggest ceph here.
As I have no mail server set up the rest could be answered maybe better from someone else.

Also i have several windows servers and vps. Can proxmox seamlessly handled these too with HA ?

Yes, Virtual Machines and Container can be HA managed.
You always can setup a small test cluster (also virtually) and test it out yourself, this would be the fastest way to get a feeling.

As you need a shared storage setup to ensure high availability I'd suggest ceph here.
As I have no mail server set up the rest could be answered maybe better from someone else.

Ceph can definitively be the tool for this task.

We do host a customer's cluster of 9 virtual Mail-Servers (Zimbra) on tiered Ceph-Storage hosted in 3 separate Data-centers. maybe 2k users (guesstimating)

What this means is: We have multiple ceph-Clusters, that have servers in each of the datacenters.
  • T1 is a erasure coded ceph pool plain old HDD OSDs for ultra cold-storage.
  • T2 is a plain old ceph pool powered by HDD OSDs backed by a SSD Caching-layer for cold-storage
  • T3 is a plain old ceph pool powered by SSD OSDs for warm data.
  • T4 is a ceph pool on NVME based PCIE Cards for Hot data.
(please be advised we host this on our existing infrastructure. It is not purpose build for the client. What i am saying is that we used a Moon sized Hammer, when a chisel and regular sized hammer would have done)

Sitenote:
We also do have a 10-node Proxmox Cluster - used as failover - that is backed by a a dual redundant FreeNas Setup (SSD based ZFS with 512 GB Ram per node) . Its been able to handle the day-to-day use of 2k users without the customer even noticing. Again, setup on existing infrastructure, not purpose-build. You can most definitely get away with a setup a lot smaller.

Last edited:
We installed a 5 node for a customer and it works well. Keep in mind ceph cluster should never ever be full! So if 2 nodes checking out (happen already) u will lose 40% space. Proxmox can do snapshots inside the ceph storage, so u will need a lot of space.

we used per node:
128GB Ram
12 Core
6 x 4TB HD
1 x 200GB Intel DC SSD CEPH Journal
1 x 128GB SSD Proxmox System
10 Gbit CEPH Net
1 Gbit CEPH Backupnet
1 GBit Proxmox Net
10 GBit Customer Net

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!