Mail Proxy - Transport - Relay Domain (same domain sending/filtering email from two different servers/IP addresses)

poetry

May 28, 2020
Hello,
We have a costumer that requires us to configure two email servers with two different IP addresses.

Emails would be send to proxmox from two different IP addresses for one domain and then forwarded to .

Is is possible to do this?

When we try to add another entry on Configuration-Mail Proxy-Transport we get this error:
add transport map entry failed: Transport map entry '' already exists (500)

We are using Proxmox Mail Gateway 6.0-9

Thank you for your assistance.

Not sure I do get the complete picture of your setup:
* you want to have 2 downstream servers where mail for one domain is accepted
* PMG should send the mail to one of the 2 servers (for failover/high availability if one of the servers is down)?

if this is what you want the easiest way would be:
* setup both downstream servers
* create 2 MX records with the same priority for the domain(s) pointing to the 2 servers
* no need to enter anything in the transport map (you can of course enter the mx in the transportmap explicitly but it is not necessary)

I hope this helps!

We are using Proxmox Mail Gateway 6.0-9
consider upgrading - PMG 6.2 was released about one month ago and contains many bugfixes and a few fixes for security issues in the kernel

Reactions: poetry
Not sure I do get the complete picture of your setup:
* you want to have 2 downstream servers where mail for one domain is accepted
* PMG should send the mail to one of the 2 servers (for failover/high availability if one of the servers is down)?

if this is what you want the easiest way would be:
* setup both downstream servers
* create 2 MX records with the same priority for the domain(s) pointing to the 2 servers
* no need to enter anything in the transport map (you can of course enter the mx in the transportmap explicitly but it is not necessary)

I hope this helps!

consider upgrading - PMG 6.2 was released about one month ago and contains many bugfixes and a few fixes for security issues in the kernel

Please look at the image below:
email.png

I don't think you can configure multiple relaying from the PMG GUI.
If so why not create a Postfix Relay server to relay all incoming mail from SERVER1 and SERVER2 and redirect to PMG. Your PMG will use the Postfix Relay as default relaying instead of your SERVER1 and SERVER2.

1590802493485.png

just configure your PMG on the internal port as smart host on customer Server 1/2 - and add their IPs to the relay network tab (GUI -> Configuration -> Mail Proxy -> Networks) and test the setup :)

just configure your PMG on the internal port as smart host on customer Server 1/2 - and add their IPs to the relay network tab (GUI -> Configuration -> Mail Proxy -> Networks) and test the setup :)

How about the default relay? The function of the default relay is for incoming mail, right?

the default relay (GUI -> Configuration -> Mail Proxy -> Relaying) sets the 'relay_transport' postfix configuration parameter - it is described in:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_transport

it is for mails for domains listed in 'Relay Domains' (and which don't have a Transports entry )

I hope this helps

Reactions: hata_ph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!