[SOLVED] Mail Gateway Install help.

SWben

Sep 26, 2019
I'm currently looking at using proxmox as a relay server to filter emails and then relay them onto my exchange server. We have a firewall which has port 25 forwarded to the proxmox mail gateway.

However when i look at the stats on the dashboard its not picking up any emails coming in. Internally its working as the promox system relayed a message onto my exchange server and i received it in my inbox.

We are currently using scrollout which im trying to move away from. When i port forward 25 to scrollouts ip it works fine.

Does PMG need a valid hostname that has an MX record? eg, pmg.mydomain.co.uk which points to our external ip?

I'm probably missing something really simple. Any help?

Last edited:
hmm - on a hunch - make sure that PMG has a static IP-address configured, and that you have an appropriate /etc/hosts entry :
if PMG is configured on ip 192.168.0.1 and it's fqdn is 'pmg.mydomain.local' make sure you have a line in your '/etc/hosts' that reads:
Code:
192.168.0.1 pmg.mydomain.local pmg

depending on how you setup pmg it might be best to reboot it.

if this does not help - please post your:
* `journalctl -b` (the journal, since the last reboot)
* `cat /etc/hostname`
* `ip route`
* `cat /etc/hosts`
* `cat /etc/resolv.conf`

I hope this helps!

Reactions: SWben
hmm - on a hunch - make sure that PMG has a static IP-address configured, and that you have an appropriate /etc/hosts entry :
if PMG is configured on ip 192.168.0.1 and it's fqdn is 'pmg.mydomain.local' make sure you have a line in your '/etc/hosts' that reads:
Code:
192.168.0.1 pmg.mydomain.local pmg

depending on how you setup pmg it might be best to reboot it.

if this does not help - please post your:
* `journalctl -b` (the journal, since the last reboot)
* `cat /etc/hostname`
* `ip route`
* `cat /etc/hosts`
* `cat /etc/resolv.conf`

I hope this helps!

Woah, just needed a reboot, now i feel like a dummy! Thanks!!

Glad you found the solution! - no need to feel bad - this is not directly visible!

Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - this might help others in a similar situation.

Happy testing!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!