Mail gateway and pve-kernel

olivier.vailleau

May 17, 2022
Hi,
I'm trying to use PMG on outscale datacenter. It use cloud-init and need no change to kernel.

During setup process (via apt-get process, because can't use ISO) , kernel-pve was installed.

If it is installed, the vm doesn't start. If removed, the vm start.

so; is PVE kernel necessary for working ?

All process seems to be up, but when i go to admin page ( https://url:8006) : no response, and it is not a FW issue.
Which log can i look for ?
Thanks a lot !

so; is PVE kernel necessary for working ?
no not really (unless you want to use ZFS or ..any other of the features of a rather new kernel) - it's just, that we only support it (in the sense that if there's a bug in the kernel we can do something about it more directly, and that we test with the pve-kernel here) - so if you run into kernel issues with another kernel - it could be that you won't get support from our enterprise support (of course only for kernel issues)

in any case - you could try using the `proxmox-mailgateway-container` meta package, as this should not pull in the pve-kernel

Which log can i look for ?
the journal in general - and especially for messages from `pmgproxy`

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!