Macvlan module

Nemesiz

Renowned Member
Jan 16, 2009
Lithuania
Good news to everyone. Finely i found a way to use several IP on different MAC on only one NIC. I tried:

* multimac
* macvlan #ip link add link eth0 name vmaclan0 address 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:dd type macvlan

but no one of them gave exactly what i wanted. So after break I started to look again and I found macvlan updates starting from 2.6.33 kernel [ source ]. I downloaded kernel source code from Proxmox but seems it still not patched. Later I will try to patch kernel to 2.6.32-4-pve state and then to apply macvlan patch. I do not have good experience with it so if Proxmox team have a free time to help me with it I will be very pleased.

* multimac doesnt work with iptables (can not redirect or change port destination and so on)
* old macvlan run in private mode so it can not be 'seen' by others local networks IP

* multimac doesnt work with iptables (can not redirect or change port destination and so on)
* old macvlan run in private mode so it can not be 'seen' by others local networks IP

Yes. I know - but what are the advantages (compared to a bridge)?

You can create virtual nic with its own mac address and use to get IP address by dhclient in host (not inside VPS) My ISP gives IP ONLY by dhcp.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!