Machine doesn't boot up when GPU is installed.

KingTChoka

Sep 4, 2021
[SOLVED]: Thanks to @avw:
This is what I meant with the PCI IDs shifting by one: the new name of your network device is enp4s0 but the network confguration still uses enp3s0. Please fix that in both places in the file (using nano /etc/network/interfaces for example) and reboot.
Updating the /etc/network/interface network device to match the system, I'm finally able to get internet connection again and access the web GUI interface!

[HALF-SOLVED UPDATE 1]: I've updated my UEFI settings in IO Ports --> Integrated Graphics: Forces, and Initial display output: IGD Video.
There's now a POST and I can see on my HDMI screen a local user account I've setup, but the rest of the proxmox isn't running. I.E., I can't ssh into root, I can't load webpages, and I can't login via WEB Gui.

The output of `/var/log/syslog`
debug2.jpg

Output of `pvecm status`
debug1.jpg

[ORIGINAL POST]
My reddit post regarding same issue.

I'm at a complete loss. I'm trying to get GPU pass through set up, following this guide. I got to step 4 (without my GPU installed).

Symptoms:

- After step 4, I installed my GPU into my machine, but then upon boot up, there was no video output and I cannot ssh into root.

- When I take out my GPU, it boots up normally.

Specs:

- Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070

- Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 Motherboard

- AMD Ryzen 5700G CPU

- Proxmox version 7

- Grub command line includes:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off,efifb:off"

- /etc/modules includes:
Code:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

- Ran these commands:
Code:
echo "options vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf
echo "options kvm ignore_msrs=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf

- Black listed the following drivers:
Code:
echo "blacklist radeon" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "blacklist nvidia" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. I should note that I took the GPU from my old Alienware Arorus gaming PC from 2017 (which was still working on that machine)

EDIT 1: In the UEFI setting, I've tried changing 'Other PCI Device ROM Priority' to 'Legacy Only' - doesn't fix the issue.

Last edited:
Because you are adding a PCI(e) device, the PCI IDs might shift by 1 and the network configuration, which uses a network device name that depends on the PCI ID, is no longer valid. This probably explains why the machine is not reachable by SSH.

Make sure to choose the integrated GPU of 5700G in the BIOS settings. Maybe it is set to discrete or PCIe GPU when available. Make sure not to blacklist amdgpu, which is needed for this.

There are non-fatal issues with your GRUB command-line: you don't need the amd_iommu=on and iommu=pt. Not using quiet will display more information that can help troubleshooting.

video=vesafb:off,efifb:off should be video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off, but this will prevent you from seeing boot message that can help troubleshooting. You probably don't need nofb nomodeset especially when already using the video-settings. Once again, this can hinder troubleshooting, especially when SSH is not working.
Those settings are usually only needed when doing passthrough on a system with a single GPU, but you have two and can use the one integrated in the CPU for the Proxmox host.

I advise against using pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction because it breaks isolation of VMs and gives false information about the actual IOMMU groups during troubleshooting. If you are only doing passthrough of the GTX 1070 and put it in the right PCIe slot, you don't need this setting at all.

In short: make sure that the integrated GPU is used to boot the system (and connect a display to it) and try with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" first. Then use the Proxmox host console (via that display) to check your network settings.

Reactions: Morpheusxeno
Hi @avw, thanks for your help!

I'm still not getting internet connection (after setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" (and leaving all the other commands above as is). The error from 'syslog' shows the following:
debug3.jpg

I don't see any relevant errors on that screen. What do you mean by "no internet"? Is ssh working? Can you connect to other systems on your local network? Maybe check the network settings against your router/modem/internet connection?

I don't see any relevant errors on that screen. What do you mean by "no internet"? Is ssh working? Can you connect to other systems on your local network? Maybe check the network settings against your router/modem/internet connection?
My home router is fine, as I'm still able to access internet on my other devices. The Proxmox host just isn't getting any internet connection. Running # systemctl status sshd shows it is active, but I can't ssh into it from my laptop. Does the ERROR: cfs-lock 'file-jobs_cfg' error: no quorum have to do with anything? I have no idea what that error message means.

This is what I meant with the PCI IDs shifting by one: the new name of your network device is enp4s0 but the network confguration still uses enp3s0. Please fix that in both places in the file (using nano /etc/network/interfaces for example) and reboot.
AHA! That seems to fix it! I'm able to connect to the admin GUI now and access the internet.

Now I can continue setting up the GPU for PCI pass through.

Thank you so much for your help getting my network back up, and for the Grub command lines!! :D I have honestly no idea what each of those things do as I'm just following the online tutorials, but I'll definitely follow your guidance there.

I registered just to say THANK YOU for an exceptional post! For hours I was seeking a solution to the fact that when I added a dedicated GPU and/or a Coral PCI-E device, I'd be stuck without networking. Very much appreciated!

1710266343806.png
can someone help me? i have P2000 and i can't make it work here is my logs i dont know what to do next.
Please help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!