mac screen sharing to XP vm hangs

proksmoks

Oct 29, 2020
City of Justice area
Hi,

Simple question, but can't seem to google my way out of this.

I have a vm with Windows XP (for automotive software from a carmaker that's long gone now) and I would like to reach the vm with VNC from an Apple computer.

I've added args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:77 to the [vm-id].conf file.

From the Finder I'm trying Cmd-K to vnc://[pve-ip-address]:5977 and it asks for a password that I did not set but no matter what I do, blank or a password and then just hangs. It's a recent macbook with macos Monterey.

I'm sure I've solved this before but I can't remember how. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers,
Ferenc

When I add password=on and set the password in monitor, it works.

So, added to [vm-id].conf file:

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:77,password=on

and in the webgui of this vm's Monitor I type:

set_password vnc foobar1 -d vnc2

And then I can connect from a Mac from the finder by hitting Cmd-K and entering vnc://[pve-ip-address]:5977 and then entering "foobar1" as the password, it works.

I'd like to use it without a password but this workaround is ok for now.

I'd like to use it without a password but this workaround is ok for now.
If you're using Monteray, that's what is asking for the password, as a part of its robust security driven, you might need to stick to the work-around. As a car enthusiast my myself, it's best to have a separate computer especially if you're diagnosing or tuning...I have an old working Dell Precision I picked up for cheap years ago on eBay (under $30 free shipping) that I added RAM and an SSD for Windows 7 specifically for my bimmer.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!