Mac Mini 2011 Radeon 6650HD Proxmox 8.0.2

EgoistOD

Sep 27, 2023
Hello,

I've tried to install 8.02 on Mac Mini and installation stuck at beginning.
Specs of MacMini
Model: Macmini5,2
CPU: Intel Core i5 2,5 GHz
Cores: 2
L2: 256 КБ
L3: 3 МБ
RAM: 16 ГБ
Version of system firmware: 135.0.0.0.0
Graphic card :
Model: AMD Radeon HD 6630M
BUS: PCIe (PCIe: x8)
VRAM: 256 МБ
Manufacturer: AMD (0x1002)
ID: 1x6741
ID: 2x0000
ROM: 113-C0171H-561
VBIOS: 113C0171G.025
Driver versionEFI: 31.00.561

In debug mode I see a point where it is stuck and this is [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
And that it.

Screenshot in debug mode.

Does anybody know anything about it ? how to solve it ? where dig to ?

Thanks !2023-09-27 19.28.53.jpg

Hi,

as it seems to hang while trying to load the graphics driver, can you try the following?

In the bootloader, select instead "Advanced Options" and then "Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset)" - this avoids loading any graphics drivers and thus you should be able to proceed with the installation, if it is indeed the cause.

Haven't seen this with the radeon driver before (usually its nvidia), but as it is quite an old model, there's definitely the possibility that it's broken.

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for reply !
Same as for excellent advice ! :)

Strangely, I have tried before posting and it stoped at second line, but trying again and it's worked :)
Proxmox installed.

Reactions: cheiss
Great to hear this solved it!

Please just mark the thread as solved by editing the first post - there should be a dropdown near the title field. This helps other people with the same problem to more easily find this thread in the future! :)

Is the machine reachable via network (ping, ssh, ..)? Even if the screen is stuck at this point.

You can also try - GRUB should be the bootloader in use here - pressing the key e in the bootloader screen and edit the kernel command line, such to include nomodeset option once again.

If this is the case, then it's simply the radeon kernel driver at fault again. It's a 12-year-old mobile graphics chipset after all, so regressions are more than a possibility.

Last edited:
Is the machine reachable via network (ping, ssh, ..)? Even if the screen is stuck at this point.

If this is the case, then it's simply the radeon kernel driver at fault again. It's a 12-year-old mobile graphics chipset after all, so regressions are more than a possibility.
Completely agree that it is a quite old stuff.
So, I just forgot about it and take macmini 2014 and there installation went smoothly :)
Thanks !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!