MAC address from the wrong ETH device

mproxk

Jun 2, 2019
I added second network card to 2 proxmox nodes. I wanted to use a second separate network for some special needs but i have this strange thing. Keep in mind that for now all 4 cards end up on same switch / no VLANs

I am running a nmap to find unknown devices and it shows the mac from the wrong card. For example

Code:
Nmap scan report for fire (192.168.7.202)
Host is up (0.00028s latency).
PORT    STATE  SERVICE
22/tcp  open   ssh
MAC Address: xxx:FA:1A (Unknown)

/etc/network/interfaces :
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp3s0 inet static
        address 192.168.50.202/24
        hwaddress xxx:fa:1a <----- this card / mac address should not be detected up in nmap / and is for 50.202 not 7.202

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.7.202/24
        gateway xxxxxx
        bridge-ports enp1s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        hwaddress xxx:FA:19   <--- sometimes this one is shown for 7.202

This node is clean install v8 but is happening on the other node too.

Do you see similar result if you try to run nmap for other port such as 8006?
SSH server is answering on all interface. The proxmox gui on port 8006 should only answer to the management IP. I believe you will see the nmap is picking up the right mac address for the management interface every time.

I run `nmap 192.168.7.0/24 -Pn -p 22,80,389,443`

Do you think the list of ports makes a difference?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!