[SOLVED] LXC's failing to start (create new LXC fails as well)

Well I'm a bit embarrassed and I thank you for the help. The problem was that I had a recursive rpool snapshot on a non-root dataset mounted at '/'... As soon as I unmounted it, changed canmount to noauto, and changed the mountpoint to the path where the remote snapshot lives, for good measure, I tested 3 unprivileged LXCs and they all started fine.

I also reproduced the error by changing the mountpoint back to '/' and mounting it again, same errors seen again on LXC startup.

Code:
root@host:~# zfs list -ro canmount,mountpoint,mounted,name
CANMOUNT  MOUNTPOINT                                                            MOUNTED  NAME
noauto    /                                                                     no       bigpool/pvebupz/20221113v2
on        /                                                                     yes      exos/rpoolbupz_all_20221121
on        /homepool/iso                                                         yes      homepool/iso
on        /homepool/lxc                                                         yes      homepool/lxc
on        /homepool/vm                                                          yes      homepool/vm
on        /rpool                                                                yes      rpool
on        /rpool/ROOT                                                           yes      rpool/ROOT
on        /                                                                     yes      rpool/ROOT/pve-1

When I read your last question a lightbulb went on.

Thanks for your time, I hope my stumbling onto this at least helps someone else in the future. I had noticed in creating and sending/receiving rpool snapshots in the past that they default to canmount==on with a mountpoint==/ and had manually fixed this prior to reboot, but not in this case unfortunately.

What I mean is creating a recursive snapshot like this:
Code:
root@host:~# zfs snapshot -r rpool/ROOT/pve-1@20221202 && zfs send -Rwv rpool/ROOT/pve-1@20221202 | pv | zfs receive -Fuv exos/rpoolbupz_all_20221202

Results in a snapshot with the following attributes:
Code:
root@host:~# zfs list -ro canmount,mountpoint,mounted,name | head
CANMOUNT  MOUNTPOINT                                                            MOUNTED  NAME
on        /                                                                     no       exos/rpoolbupz_all_20221202

And without changing canmount to noauto or the mountpoint to something other than '/', it will mount there on reboot.

I spent an hour or two in the irc support channels for lxc (#lxc @ libera.chat) regarding this and they suggested I create a thread on their forum as well. So I will update that too. Sorry for the hassle.
Thank you for posting your solution! I was backing up to a USB drive before potentially destructive changes and encountered this issue. It had the same solution as you posted.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!