LXC vs KVM vs MariaDB

PanZvedavy

Renowned Member
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

Im just planing new MariaDB VM and trying to find out, if there is any performance advantage for using LXC container for DB server virtualisation over KVM.
Any suggestions?

hi,

LXC has less overhead than KVM since it doesn't need to emulate a whole OS with its own kernel (containers use the host kernel). that usually translates into better performance than full-fledged VMs given the same amount of resources.

Well, I understand this, but what I would like to know is, if there is some real performance advantage with LXC over KVM. In theory yes, but I would like to hear from somebody with real life expirience with this. Im running KVM only for security reasons and for switching to LXC in MariaDB case, I need to see some clear performance advantage...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!