[SOLVED] LXC USB Passthrough Hot-Plug Permissions

Elliott Partridge

Oct 7, 2018
I have two systems with a UPS connected via USB, which I pass-through to an LXC container with the corresponding management software (apcupsd, pwrstatd). However, on both systems, I have a problem if the USB connection is ever disconnected - the LXC container can no longer read the USB endpoint. I have to reboot the container, and the permissions are restored. Any idea how to retain/restore permissions without a reboot?

On a fresh start of the container, I can see the USB endpoint:
Bash:
# ls -al /dev/usb/hiddev0
crw-rw-rw- 1 nobody root 180, 0 Jan 10 10:35 /dev/usb/hiddev0

However, after removing and re-inserting the USB connector:
Bash:
c--------- 0 nobody nogroup 180, 0 Dec 30 08:08 /dev/usb/hiddev0

System Configuration​

On the host:

Bash:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root 100000 180, 0 Jan 10 10:35 /dev/usb/hiddev0

LXC .conf:
Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 1
hostname: ups1
memory: 512
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=<MAC>,ip=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: vm-prod:subvol-###-disk-0,mountoptions=noatime,size=8G
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 180:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/usb/hiddev0 dev/usb/hiddev0 none bind,optional,create=file

udev rule for permissions:
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-apcups.rules
Code:
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNEL=="hiddev*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="051d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002", SYMLINK+="ups0", GROUP="100000", MODE="0666"

I think I figured this out, thanks to some more searching and finding these posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/i9xfoj/hotplugging_passthrough_usb_devices_to_lxc/
https://monach.us/automation/connecting-zwave-stick-under-lxc/
https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org...rite-on-re-connected-dev-ttyusb0-modem/1227/2

The trouble, as far as I can tell, is that the bind mount gets broken when the source (/dev/usb/hiddev0) goes away on the host. The solution is to make a persistent character device using mknod that then gets bind-mounted into the LXC container. This will weather any disconnection events, resulting in preserved permissions/bind-mount when the device is restored.

What I ended up doing on the host (nothing changed in the container):
Bash:
mkdir /var/lib/lxc/<id>/devices
cd /var/lib/lxc/<id>/devices
mknod -m 660 hiddev0 c 180 0
chown root:100000 hiddev0

Then, I modified the LXC .conf, replacing the /dev/usb/hiddev0 source path with /var/lib/lxc/112/devices/hiddev0.

Reboot the container and voilá! I can unplug/replug my device to my heart's content.

One year later, is this still the way to handle hotplugging? It seems simply like a bug that the permissions in LXC are not set up perfectly after re-connecting a device. Did anyone look into it?

Last edited:
Reactions: GleraK

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!