lxc.sysctl in unprivileged containers

geppi

Nov 27, 2018
Germany
I'm a little confused reagarding what's possible with an unprivileged container when it comes to setting values in /proc/sys.
I'm in partucular interested in everything below /proc/sys/net.

I have an unprivileged container in which everything below /proc/sys/net is owned and writable by root.
In the container I can modify e.g. the parameter "net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects" with:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0

However, I cannot use lxc.sysctl.net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0 in the container configuration file:
unable to parse config: lxc.sysctl.net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0

Why does setting the parameter via sysctl in the above case work and what's the problem with the lxc.sysctl config parameter ?

hi,

However, I cannot use lxc.sysctl.net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0 in the container configuration file:
there are two configuration files for a container:
* /etc/pve/lxc/CTID.conf, this is the config used by the PVE stack, used to partially generate the next config:
* /var/lib/lxc/CTID/config is the config used by LXC (don't write directly here, because it will be ignored and regenerated)

in the PVE LXC config are some raw lxc keys allowed [0], but lxc.sysctl.net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0 is not one of them :)
though you can write a script inside the container that runs sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0 at boot time ;)

hope this helps!

[0]: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-cont...6826e5ae4a42d01f4597aacb38ed7dc8;hb=HEAD#l592

Thank you for the link with the allowed keys.

Would it be possible to elaborate a little on why the lxc.sysctl.net.* keys are not allowed although the kernel parameters can be configured from inside even an unprivileged container ? Obviously they're namespaced, right ?

Is my understanding correct that entering net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0 into /etc/sysctl.conf is doing the job as well ?

Would it be possible to elaborate a little on why the lxc.sysctl.net.* keys are not allowed although the kernel parameters can be configured from inside even an unprivileged container ? Obviously they're namespaced, right ?
right, they're namespaced with CLONE_NEWNET and since the sysctl inside the container works it might make sense to allow these keys as well. could you make a feature request on our bugtracker [0] ?

[0]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!