LXC root password

cyrus104

Feb 10, 2020
Good Day,

When I create a new LXC container, the root password does not work. I have tested this on 3 browsers across 2 computers. I have tried to SSH into root but the password doesn't work either.

I have tested copy and pasting the password into both fields but for some reason when it creates the container the password does not work. I looked at the creation output and it looks fine. I'm using the Debian10 and Ubuntu 18.04.1 template. My passwords generally use special characters such as; @!&.

Thanks

Hmm, a time ago there was a bug that special caracters didn't work in that field. Tested here on my cluster, and it works. Tested it with an $ on first and other places in the password.

What version of proxmox to you use?

hi,

you can enter the container with pct enter CTID without having to enter any password.

from inside you can try to change it to something without special characters and see if it works (but it should also work with specials).

maybe the problem is something else

Reactions: fireon
I have the exact same problem just now that password does not work after LXC container creation and I'm not using any special characters just letters and numbers.

Using Proxmox 6.2-12, fully up to date with http://download.proxmox.com/debian stretch pve-no-subscription as I do not have a subscription

This is not a problem as I can use "pct enter CTID" to change password but thought I should inform about it

Best regards
Mats

Last edited:
Don't bother with my previous post about password not working after container creatin as it has started to work.
I do not know why and that is verry annoying.

Before my previous post I did restart Proxmox just in case it should help but it didn't ... but now a few hours later it sems to have healed itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!