LXC Migration between nodes with different storage types (LVM and ZFS)

yswery

May 6, 2018
We have two node cluster (no HA of course)

Node 1 (older and has many guests VMs/CTs)
Storage: local, local-lvm

Node 2 (new and has no guests at all)
Storage: local, local-zfs

I understand that you can not do a migration between nodes since they dont have "match storage names" (as in local-lvm vs local-zfs) I was wondering what are the options for me to migrate between the two nodes

So far I know i can do a full backup of a CT/VM, scp the backup file to the other node and then restore the file as a VM/CT with the same VMID.

Is there a better way of being able to margate between these two nodes?

Does anyone know if there is a better of of migrating VMs/CTs between the nodes?

better, no. different, yes: on your source node you can add the same storage as you want to have on your target (e.g. local-zfs) move your volumes there, then you should be able to migrate normally to the target node

better, no. different, yes: on your source node you can add the same storage as you want to have on your target (e.g. local-zfs) move your volumes there, then you should be able to migrate normally to the target node
When I do to "Datacenter" on the WebUI and then go the existing `local-zfs` I added the source node (which is lvm set up disks) and even though the `local-zfs` did in fact come up on the source node, its not usable since the `local-zfs` is ZFS and the source node isnt on ZFS filesystem, its on LVM

Code:
could not activate storage 'local-zfs', zfs error: cannot import 'rpool': no such pool available (500)

Is there a way to achieve this, I would be super happy if I can use the "move disk" functionality and then do "migrate" all via the PVE interface (and API)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!