LXC Devnodes PCI Passthrough

deranjer

Dec 28, 2010
Just upgraded to Proxmox 4.0 by backing up my containers and VM's and then restoring them.. have a few questions about LXC I guess.

1) In OpenVZ I was able to do PCI "passthrough" using "devnodes" for example (vzctl set 1000 --devnodes device:rw --save) to send my PCI TV Tuner through to an OpenVZ container. I didn't see any concrete information about whether this is possible in LXC. I saw some information about using "cgroup" settings to allow this but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure if this was possible before I started changing things.

2) Looks like cgroups are also how a I set up tun/tap devices, by searching the forums it looks like users were having issues with that and needed to create a script? Is there official documentation I haven't found on this somewhere?

3) I haven't really looked into this issue much since it isn't a big deal, but for all my LXC containers (haven't looked at my VM's, but might be for them as well) I have no CPU graph or network graph, nothing showing at all, and my CPU usage meter doesn't move past 0.0% at all.

Thanks!

Solved part of the issue for the TV Tuner passthrough:

/etc/pve/lxc (conf files)
in the conf file:
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dvb dev/dvb none bind,create=dir,optional 0 0
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 212:* rwm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!