LXC Containers vs VM vs FreeNAS/OMV

MarcMorgan

Feb 5, 2021
Hi All,

I want to thank anyone who takes the time to read and assist on this.

My current setup

Dell R710 2x Intel Xeon E5520 (2.27Ghz) - 48GB RAM (soon to be 64GB)
8x900GB SAS drives (7.2TB)
1 HDD for Torrents/Downloads
2 HDDs for CCTV storage (Separate PC for CCTV) - PC links to this HDD via ONV and now FreeNAS (both on Proxmox) for share access
2 HDDs (each one for Business storage (again pass through with ONV/ and now FreeNAS)
1 HDD is for VMs/LXC Containers for Proxmox

Basically i have been using Proxmox for around 6 months now and enjoying it so much but i feel my configuration is a little off only due to lack of knowledge and experience on setting things up.

I currently have 15 VMs (0x Containers) - not all in use but most of Windows test boxes for work purpose but hardly powered on
2 VMs are for Windows machines which I need as one is for a Business and one is for Work (which these are fine)
Now I also have VMs (Windows) for Plex/Torrents (which in Sonarr/Radarr/Bit-Torrent/SabdNZB)
I also have OVM setup just for the purpose of a NAS storage for my plex-data

The issue I im running into is RAM usage (i know this may improve once i upgrade and allocating more RAM where needed but i feel and have read i can place some of these services into containers which will use less resources.

I would like to have/learn (guides if possible) a container for all in one or separate containers for Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzb/Plex

ATM i have been using passthrough with my drives (each 800GB used for a different purpose) to OMV (Plex - file ext is ntfs/et4) and the others are passed through via OMV/now FreeNAS

Now im sure i could use zfs storage within Promox to save going through so many paths) but not sur eon how to do this properly

I guess my question after all this is:

Can i setup a container for all in one or a container for each instance for Sonarr/Radarr/SabdNZB/Plex
If so how will this would for the disks, can i use Promox to share/create groups (which groups) so they see and pick up
I need to have it so the HDDs can been seen on all containers, as the torrents drive (sabdnzb) will get the files and move to the plex drives (currently USB - passthrough to the Plex VM). Sonarr/Radarr will read the plex drives

I would also like to access all these drives via SMB as my main PC is a windows machine so quick access would also be great

Im sure there will be more in the future but for now this is it

Can i setup a container for all in one or a container for each instance for Sonarr/Radarr/SabdNZB/Plex
If so how will this would for the disks, can i use Promox to share/create groups (which groups) so they see and pick up
I need to have it so the HDDs can been seen on all containers, as the torrents drive (sabdnzb) will get the files and move to the plex drives (currently USB - passthrough to the Plex VM). Sonarr/Radarr will read the plex drives
I would also like to access all these drives via SMB as my main PC is a windows machine so quick access would also be great
Proxmox got no GUI for managing network shares. You can use Proxmox as a NAS but you would need to do everything manually using the CLI. So it might be easier to use OMV or TrueNAS for that.

And I would not switch from VMs to LXCs if you care abount privacy because you might want as much isolation and privacy as possible (own subnet behind pfsense/opnsense VM, VPN and so on).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!