LXC Containers Backup

khaled.j.hussein

Nov 29, 2017
Hello,

I am running proxmox v5.4 and I have one host has disk space on local storage of 90GB, and I have a lxc container of 110 GB storage, and it sometimes the backup failed because of no disk space left, and sometimes the local disk almost full and monitoring system inform us

I tried to change the tmpdir option in vzdump.conf file to the same storage where I store my backup via CIFS but I got these errors and take too long time

so how can I change the tmpdir to a shared disk

O: starting new backup job: vzdump 112 --mailnotification always --fullbackup 7 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --maxfiles 1 --storage backup --quiet 1
INFO: doing differential backup against '/mnt/pve/backup/dump/vzdump-lxc-112-2020_04_06-22_58_15.tar.lzo'
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 112 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2020-04-08 09:50:03
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: crm
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: crm
INFO: starting first sync /proc/17575/root// to /mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/bin" -> "usr/bin" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/lib" -> "usr/lib" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/lib64" -> "usr/lib64" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/sbin" -> "usr/sbin" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/init.d" -> "rc.d/init.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/localtime" -> "../usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/mtab" -> "/proc/mounts" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc.local" -> "rc.d/rc.local" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc0.d" -> "rc.d/rc0.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc1.d" -> "rc.d/rc1.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc2.d" -> "rc.d/rc2.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc3.d" -> "rc.d/rc3.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc4.d" -> "rc.d/rc4.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc5.d" -> "rc.d/rc5.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: symlink "/mnt/pve/backup/tmp/vzdumptmp9016/etc/rc6.d" -> "rc.d/rc6.d" failed: Operation not supported (95)

Thanks

Hi,

the documentation show normal setup of tmpdir such as i did, i created a tmp folder under /mnt/pve/backup which is CIFS used to backups, and zvdump.conf was

tmpdir: /mnt/pve/backup/tmp

but i got the above error, any suggestion

Thanks

my vzdump.conf
# vzdump default settings

#tmpdir: /mnt/pve/backup/tmp
#dumpdir: DIR
#storage: STORAGE_ID
#mode: snapshot|suspend|stop
#bwlimit: KBPS
#ionice: PRI
#lockwait: MINUTES
#stopwait: MINUTES
#size: MB
#stdexcludes: BOOLEAN
#mailto: ADDRESSLIST
#maxfiles: N
#script: FILENAME
#exclude-path: PATHLIST
#pigz: N

and the command is

vzdump --mode snapshot --mailnotification always --quiet 1 --maxfiles 1 --mailto emailAddress --storage backup --compress lzo --exclude 114,106,105,110,115,118,128,109,127,101 --all 1 --fullbackup 7

sorry, it was commented by mistake

#dumpdir: DIR
#storage: STORAGE_ID
#mode: snapshot|suspend|stop
#bwlimit: KBPS
#ionice: PRI
#lockwait: MINUTES
#stopwait: MINUTES
#size: MB
#stdexcludes: BOOLEAN
#mailto: ADDRESSLIST
#maxfiles: N
#script: FILENAME
#exclude-path: PATHLIST
#pigz: N

This is the correct way to set a tmpdir. You can verify that it is really used by simply checking if something is there while your backup is running ls /mnt/pve/backup/tmp. It should not be empty. Alternatively, you can specify the tmpdir directly in the vzdump command like this vzdump 101 --storage nfs --tmpdir /mnt/pve/nfs/asdf.

Could you try to set tmpdir to some other storage to test if your CIFS storage is configured correctly? CIFS and symlinks can be tricky. Did you mount your CIFS storage using the GUI in Proxmox VE?

I tested CIFS and NFS , i use WD EX4100 storage for CIFS and NFS shares,
yes i mounted them using proxmox GUI

I workaround this by convert this container backup to stop mode and it is working fine now, but I hope if I can use CIFS or NFS as temp dir

Thanks

Reactions: Dominic
but I hope if I can use CIFS or NFS as temp dir
Even though this is not ideal, it should generally work.

Can you post your /etc/pve/storage.cfg?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!