LXC - Container memory usage is above 90%

mjb2000

Jul 16, 2015
Hi all

I have been experimenting with LXC, in particular OpenMediaVault running on Debian 7 in a container and I've found that after using the container for a while Proxmox shows the memory usage above 90% (sometimes 100%), but within the container itself running the free command shows that most of this memory usage is just the IO cache.

My question is, if I had a total of 4GB ram on the host and ran 6 containers each with a maximum of 1GB each, would some of the machines be starved of RAM they actually need to run processes whilst other machines are holding on to RAM as IO cache? (or will the IO cache from other machines be released to free up RAM for any container that truly needs it?)

Thanks

Matt

I don't think LXC has dynamic memory allocation activated, so if you're host in taking lots of RAM for I/O caching, it should not impact the memory of the other guests.

However it could be possible that the access to the storage device slows itself down processes in the others LXCs, leaving them waiting for I/O.

Ah - OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure I set all my limits appropriately.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!