LXC Container can access all host disks but shouldn't

torwag

Oct 5, 2020
Sorry as this is a slightly cross post with here. I got some nice thoughts and help there but noticed that my actual problem has nothing to do with PBS and thought it might be useful to ask here.

I run an ordinary LXC container, nothing special, all setup in the webui. Unprivileged, nesting on, basically all options are untouched / standard.

In this container I installed PBS. Also here basic install nothing fancy, followed the installation based on a debian 11 template.

Starting PBS, it finds ALL host harddisks. Root, the disks for ZFS and LVM pools. Even more strange (and dangerous) all of them are marked as unused.

I can't find a reason why this happens.

I run another LXC container running Homeassistant. This one I tweaked to get some usb pass-through. Maybe that effected all other LXC containers as well?

The problem, I can't remember out of my head what I changed to get the pass-through working.

Reactions: lethargos
Hi,
PBS is not really intended to be run in an (unprivileged) container. The fact that it can "see" all disks is just that it has access to the /sys filesystem. Just see ls /sys/block. But you shouldn't have the actual block devices in /dev/. PBS can't detect the usage, because it cannot actually check the device ;)

Reactions: takeokun
I'm not sure why the fact that you can see all the disks (including the S/N) is played down like that. Does this occur with standard LXC container outside Proxmox? I know it doesn't happen with docker in any case (not that I believe docker is better) and most probably not in podman either.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!