LXC Backup / Move

Frank0972

Dec 4, 2022
Hello all,

I am newbie to Proxmox and I have a problem right away too. I use in my home environment on an Intel Nuc with a Nve SSD and a 2.5" SSD my environment. I have now bought a new, larger 2.5 "SSD. Now my plan was to move the LXC containers to the NVE disk and then move them to the new, larger SSD again. Unfortunately this does not work with the largest LXC container. The moving stops at some point without error message and the whole Proxmox server freezes, so that only a hard reset helps. I tried the same procedure to backup to an external SSD or to a SMB share. Is there a way how I can copy LXC container via SFTP or something else and then mount it again? I have the same NUC again. So moving it from one host to the other would also be possible. Proxmox is the latest version.

Many greetings

Frank

Hey,

how much free space do you have on your NVME? I assume the NUC only has one SATA port. So you could either
* move an LXC to the NVME, swap the SSDs then move the LXCs (from the NVME) to the new SSD, this however only works if you have enough free space on your boot drive to hold the largest LXC, and it is not feasible if you have more than just a few containers
* set up an NFS server on your second NUC[1], add that as storage to your PVE host[2](also possible using the GUI) and move all the LXCs there and then onto the new SSD.
* or, if you happen to have an external HDD laying around you can also add that as storage to your PVE and use that instead of an NFS server on your second NUC.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NFS#Server
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#storage_nfs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!