LXC and mount CIFS share

NasKar

May 19, 2022
I'm running Proxmox 8.2.4. I created an LXC container with ttech scripts with docker to install Frigate NVR in a privileged container. The data I want to send to my TrueNAS Core CIFS share. I can't write anything to CIFS share from frigate and believe I'm missing a step. I hoping someone can help me troubleshoot the issue.

I read this post which I think contains the answer but I can't apply it to my situation due to my limited knowledge.

I've created a CIFS share in my TrueNAS named frigate which maps the TrueNAS directory /mnt/v1/backup/frigate
in my PVE I have in my /etc/fstab
Code:
//192.168.5.48/mnt/backup/frigate /mnt/pve/Frigate_Data cifs user,credentials=/root/.credentials/my-credentials,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

my-credentials
Code:
username=myusername
password=password
workgroup=myusername

in the LXC container (103) I mounted the CIFS share
Code:
pct set 103 -mp0 /mnt/pve/Frigate_Data,mp=/mnt/Frigate_Data

I am able to write a file in TrueNAS and it will show up in the PVE and LXC container. I can also write to the file from the LXC and the edit shows up in TrueNAS. Not sure why frigate can't write to the CIFS share. My guess is a permission issue. Let me know if I need to supply any other info. Thanks

When working with a privileged LXC I would directly mount the SMB share inside the LXC and skip that bind-mounting from the PVE host. You need to enable the CIFS feature for the LXC first via webUI.

Reactions: NasKar
I enabled the CIFS feature in the LXC and rebooted the LXC. It seems to work now. Do I need to remove something to skip the bind-mounting from the PVE host?

Spoke too soon. It's not writing the data to the CIFS share.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!