lvmvdo doesn't deduplicate my data

Ranger_Vzla

Jan 19, 2021
Hello good people! I am installing lvmvdo con Debian 11.2 to store Proxmox vm disk, doing the following :

Code:
1) apt install -y build-essential libdevmapper-dev libz-dev uuid-dev git sudo libblkid-dev man vim dwarves dkms lvm2

2)export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

3) git clone https://github.com/dm-vdo/kvdo.git cd kvdo/ make -C /usr/src/linux-eaders-`uname -r` M=`pwd`
cp vdo/kvdo.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r) && cp uds/uds.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)

4)git clone https://github.com/dm-vdo/vdo.git cd vdo/ && make && make install

5)depmod -a update-initramfs -u

6)echo uds >>/etc/modules && echo kvdo >> /etc/modules

7)reboot

8) modprobe kvdo && modprobe uds

9) lsmod |grep vdo
kvdo                  540672  1
uds                   270336  1 kvdo
dm_mod                163840  12 kvdo,dm_thin_pool,dm_bufio

10) pvcreate /dev/sda
vgcreate vgdo /dev/sda
lvcreate --type vdo --name vdolv --size 7G --virtualsize 8G vgdo
mkfs.ext4 -E nodiscard /dev/vgdo/vdolv

11)mount /dev/vgdo/vdolv /mnt/vdo/
df -h
S.ficheros             Tamaño Usados  Disp Uso% Montado en
/dev/mapper/vgdo-vdolv   7,8G    24K  7,4G   1% /mnt/vdo

12)cp /tmp/rhel-8.5-x86_64-kvm.qcow2 /mnt/vdo/ &&df -h
/dev/mapper/vgdo-vdolv   7,8G   744M  6,7G  10% /mnt/vdo

13)cp /tmp/rhel-8.5-x86_64-kvm.qcow2 /mnt/vdo/rhel-8.5-x86_64-kvm2.qcow2
/dev/mapper/vgdo-vdolv   7,8G   1,5G  6,0G  20% /mnt/vdo

14)lvs -o+vdo_compression,vdo_deduplication
LV     VG   Attr       LSize Pool   Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert VDOCompression VDODeduplication
vdolv  vgdo vwi-XXv-X- 8,00g vpool0

As you can see on step 12 and 13, I'm cloning a qcow2 image, and my data still growing without any deduplication process, same behavior happens with .iso .mkv and other testing files.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, please can anybody help me.

My final goal is using a fresh install of Debian with working VDOs to install proxmox over that.

Hello mate,

As I currently have the same objective than you, I did exactly the same things and it's working. It's just that I think you don't understand what you're seeing.
df and du commands shows what was written on partition, so they don't see any deduplication or compression (for ZFS it's the same). If you want to see your real usages, use VDO commands like :

Bash:
vdostats --human-readable --si

In my case :

1650805079303.png

Edit 1 : I just saw you posted here too, and you've been answered

Edit 2 : If anyone is passing by looking for a script to install KVDO + VDO on Debian (11 actually), follow this link

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!