LVM Volume Passthrough

macday

Mar 10, 2010
Stuttgart / Germany
Hi guys,

I want to know if I could passtrough an existing LVM-Volume with 24TB XFS-Filesystem on it to a KVM-Guest.

And if that would be possible, could I also do a live migration to a different host ?

For Background-Info I use a shared FibreChannel SAN and this special Volume would be visible on all Hosts.

I want to use this for making a Samba-Server more available.

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I want to know if I could passtrough an existing LVM-Volume with 24TB XFS-Filesystem on it to a KVM-Guest.

And if that would be possible, could I also do a live migration to a different host ?

For Background-Info I use a shared FibreChannel SAN and this special Volume would be visible on all Hosts.

Thanks in advance
Hi,
IMHO you can't use live migration with device passtrough.

But if the disk is on a FC-SAN, why you don't create on the FC-hdd an lvm (for pve) and create inside this storage an huge vm-disk for the samba server?
OK, you must move your 24TB to another place, recreate anything and move the data back (this takes some time...) but is the clean way for an virtualisated samba server.

Udo

Thanks Udo,

I think this is the right way to do it. But if the second host is only for standby purpose my idea would work.

I will use a 10GB Intel NIC on the host. Is Virtio on my virtualized Squeeze Samba Server capable of using 10GB ?

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Thant won't work. XFS is not a cluster aware filesystem, if you mount it on more than one host you will corrupt the filesystem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!