LVM ThinPool volume out of metadata

wiredworm

Sep 6, 2019
I've had a proxmox instance running for a while and one of the LVM ThinPool volumes is rather large, at just under 20TB.

Things had been going just fine but recently i've hit some issues and I think the issue is because i've managed to fully consume the metadata allocation for the volume.

An lvs command shows this:

Code:
  LV                       VG               Attr       LSize   Pool             Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  lvm-thinpool-001         lvm-thinpool-001 twi-aotzM- <20.74t                         93.75  100.00
  [lvm-thinpool-001_tdata] lvm-thinpool-001 Twi-ao---- <20.74t
  [lvm-thinpool-001_tmeta] lvm-thinpool-001 ewi-ao----  88.00m
  [lvol0_pmspare]          lvm-thinpool-001 ewi-------  88.00m

I was hoping I could add some additional space for the metadata but when doing so I get this:

Code:
root@proxmox:/var# lvextend --poolmetadatasize +128M lvm-thinpool-001/lvm-thinpool-001
  Insufficient free space: 32 extents needed, but only 0 available

My Linux skills are not super hot so i'm not sure if there are some additional commands I need to execute before I try the lvextend. Or perhaps i'm SOL and I need to migrate my files elsewhere and recreate the volume with a larger allocation for metadata. Do I read correctly that the above volume only allocated 88MB for that? Handy to know as it means I can make sure to manually specify a much larger allocation.

If anyone can help me recover from this i'd be very grateful.

Volume group output seems to suggest i've got no extents available. So not sure there is much I can do:

Code:
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               lvm-thinpool-001
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  192
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                13
  Open LV               10
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               20.74 TiB
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              5436892
  Alloc PE / Size       5436892 / 20.74 TiB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0

Volume group output seems to suggest i've got no extents available. So not sure there is much I can do:

Code:
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               lvm-thinpool-001
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  192
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                13
  Open LV               10
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               20.74 TiB
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              5436892
  Alloc PE / Size       5436892 / 20.74 TiB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
Thanks! Yes, I extended the VG hoping that would give me more space to work on. VG was about 94GB prior to the extension.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!