LVM-Thin Question Proxmox 4.2

MnM

May 12, 2016
Hi,

Got a question re LVM-Thin on Proxmox 4.2.New and not very experienced Linux user here -just got my head around the whole LVM thinggy :) (is was easier on Windows for me).

Anyway I want to create a new LVM-thin with 2 SSDs I have. Then I want to store everything on this newly created LMV-Thin volume but I cannot find out, first if is even possible and second how to go about it. All I can find is how to extend the default one (pve-data). Thinking of it perhaps I can store ISO images and LXC templates on pve-data and the rest (backups, disk image, VZDump, Container, and the rest if any (? think that is all)) on the newly created LVM-thin mde up of my 2 SSDs.

Been practicing (both SSDs empty) and I can get the LVM-Thin up and running but I can only use it for Disk image and Container *(missing everything else). ProxMox itself is installed on its own SSD whihc i dont want to use for the virtual server/LXC side.I move to Linux fawn by the promise of Docker simplicity and order..and I want to see if can do the same on the ProxMox side. Dont ask why guys ... it just works better for me to have the "hosting" side separated form the "workloads"side.

So my questions are:

1. Is this possible to use a new LVM-thin for all the ...hmmm maybe I will call them "storage roles" (backups, disk image, VZDump, Container, ISO, LXC Templates) of Proxmox?
2. How can this be done? (A good example will help me a lot).

Thanks

Hi,

No Thin LVM-Thin is only for VM/Container.
For Backups, ISO's and/or Templates you need a file system what can lay on a LVM-Thin.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!