LVM snapshots after qcow2 snapshots?

tactic

Aug 5, 2011
Hello,
Yesterday I upgraded my testserver to 2.2. I am really happy about the "live qcow2 snapshots", because it makes my work a lot easier.

Although there is a problem. I was checking the backup Logs earlier I found an Error:
"ERROR: Backup of VM 153 failed - VM contains snapshots - unable to backup"

This Error only appears when I create a "qcow2 snapshot" before a "LVM Snapshot".
And I would like to use both. One to create local snapshots in case I want to rollback my changes and one to backup everything to a different location.

So am I missing something? Why isn't it possible to create a LVM snapshot after a qcow one?

As a technical person I am very curious why you had to create such a restriction.
As far as I know qcow2 snapshots are stored in in the qcow file itself, shouldn't it be possible to create a LVM snapshot the same way as without the qcow snapshots?

Is there a workaround for backing up VM's with qcow2 snapshots? If I can't create backups this feature is off little use to me =(

if you are interested in the details/reasons, read the developer mailing list (archive).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!