LVM Snacpshots don't seem to be working

syncmaster4

Mar 25, 2012
I'm new to Proxmox but am very impressed by the product so far. I have a test environment (Dell 2950 2 x Quad, 16GB Ram and 4 x 1TB SATA drives as Raid 10).

I've setup proxmox, configured a Win2008R2 client, did a backup and restored the backup to create a second Windows client - all worked fine. My question is that the backup did not seem to use LVM snapshots. Really just looking for some guidance from the experts here since I'm sure its something I'm not doing correctly. Currently I have everything running of this one test server (proxmox, containers, backup, etc), is it possible to do LVM snapshots in this configuration?

Thanks!
Craig

Ok, I've figured out that with one test server what I'm trying to do is not preferred, better to have iSCSI disk array. Since I don't have that available for testing I did the following. Created one raid 1 array (2 x 1TB disks) then installed Proxmox. Works perfect.

To test LVM I created another raid 1 array (2 x 1TB disks) via the Dell raid controller, rebooted and created a new volume group on the second set of raid drives. I added this to Datacenter -> Storage; it correctly displays as a type LVM data store.

I went to create a test guest and although I could select the LVM data store above it still creates raw image files.

Any pointers on what I am missing are appreciated! Thanks!

should work if configured in the right was. what is not working? provide logs or error message.

Ok, I've figured out that with one test server what I'm trying to do is not preferred, better to have iSCSI disk array. Since I don't have that available for testing I did the following. Created one raid 1 array (2 x 1TB disks) then installed Proxmox. Works perfect.

To test LVM I created another raid 1 array (2 x 1TB disks) via the Dell raid controller, rebooted and created a new volume group on the second set of raid drives. I added this to Datacenter -> Storage; it correctly displays as a type LVM data store.

I went to create a test guest and although I could select the LVM data store above it still creates raw image files.

no, if its a LVM the wizard creates LVM volumes for virtual disks, no raw files.

Any pointers on what I am missing are appreciated! Thanks!

also make sure you run the latest version (aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!