LVM ran out of metadata space - need help

Jan 22, 2018
NRW
Hello,

i wanted to update one of my VMs and noticed i/o errors - so i checked the proxmox host and saw dmesg output:

[2797106.226966] device-mapper: space map metadata: unable to allocate new metadata block
[2797106.227006] device-mapper: thin: 253:4: metadata operation 'dm_thin_insert_block' failed: error = -28
[2797106.227035] device-mapper: thin: 253:4: aborting current metadata transaction
[2797106.231016] device-mapper: thin: 253:4: switching pool to read-only mode

lvs shows:

lvm.JPG

how can i fix this? VMs do not start anymore !

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The problem was that i did a "yum update" during this occurs. I had no luck... i had to reboot the Proxmox host, shring the SWAP LVM space and use 1GB for metadata space. I restored the VM from backup the night before.

Really not a nice thing... i hope proxmox team take care of "meta data" size in the summary or so ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!