LVM over iscsi sharing issue

tirpitz

Jun 5, 2014
hi

I have an existing Proxmox Cluster based on Version 3.4 and it is sharing LVM group over ISCSI. Now we are building new cluster with version 6.1 and want to attach the same iscsi LVM group so we can migrate data. all seems to be going fine, but now when we are trying start the VM which is sharing the LVM, we are getting following error

Cannot update volume group vmstoragessd with duplicate PV devices.
Failed to update old PV extension headers in VG vmstoragessd.
Volume group "vmstoragessd" not found
TASK ERROR: can't activate LV '/dev/vmstoragessd/vm-129-disk-1': Cannot process volume group vmstoragessd

when we run lvs command we can see the LV visible , but when we run lvdisplay, it is showing not available.

should I be running vgchange -ay to activate the volume group ?

Sharing a single LVM group between two different pve clusters is very dangerous because locking does not work among multiple clusters. I hope you are aware of that?

we don't plan to use it for long time we just need to connect and migrate the data. but since we are unable to bring it up we are not able to move the raw files. Can you advice how can we get the volume group activated ?

Can you advice how can we get the volume group activated ?

I would not do that, because you already get the warning that the software is not compatible:

> Failed to update old PV extension headers in VG vmstoragessd.

Version 3.4 is simply too old ...

so if we use same version 3.4 then we can be good to get the data migrated? Or is there any other way for us to do the data migration other than taking backup and restore

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!