[SOLVED] LVM over iscsi: Delete VM1 with disks. Create new VM2 .. old data from VM1 are available

Jan 21, 2016
Germany
www.pug.org
hi,

is there a way / hook to make sure, if a VM is purged, that PVE destroys data on the assigned disks first ? I have very often the issue, that data from purged VMs gets available often again, on a new VM. Yesterday I had this issue again, as I've added a 2nd disk to the new VM and create a vg2, but LVM says **there was** still "data" VG and I was able to mount the LV, which was the 2nd disk from a MariaDB. I was pretty astonished, as I would expecting mount issues. Maybe the data will not be fully usable .. but .. not nice.

This thing .. I have on LVM on ISCSI very often. I mean .. its more or less explainable, but a hook to wipe the disks first would be good. I know, that I can start an OS which does the job .. but who knows ...

cu denny

I would have sworn that I saw the disk beeing wiped, yet I could not reproduce it on FC-based LVM. Maybe it was the case years ago?

I concur that this is very bad and a security issue. On ZFS-based store, this is not the case due to its thin-provisioned nature.

Hi,
IIRC, there is a saferemove option you can set in the LVM storage configuration for this purpose, i.e. pvesm set <storage ID> --saferemove 1.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!