LVM over iSCSI - Base volume field unselectable

justjosh

Nov 4, 2019
Hi all,

I've added an iSCSI LUN on the Datacenter level but I'm not able to create an LVM over the iSCSI. I'm able to select the iSCSI disk under Base storage but the required Base volume dropdown is empty. I've tested with both use LUN directly on and off.

Also, when selecting the iSCSI disk on the HV level, I noticed it doesn't report the usage data (completely empty). I can see this data for local disks.

Thanks!

Hi,
please make sure you configured the ISCSI target correctly, maybe also try setting initiator name and address.
The check 'use LUNs directly' is relevant for PVE itself. E.g.: if it's disabled you won't be able to select the LUN when selecting a disk for a new VM and because of a bug it won't show up for the 'base volume' drop-down either. So please set it to enabled for the time being. In my test setup the LUN shows up then.

Please set 'content images' for the ISCSI storage in '/etc/pve/storage.cfg' and run
Code:
pvesm list <ISCSI storage name>
Does the LUN show up then?

If you used 'tgt' to configure the LUN what does running
Code:
tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode target --op show
say?

Hi,
please make sure you configured the ISCSI target correctly, maybe also try setting initiator name and address.
The check 'use LUNs directly' is relevant for PVE itself. E.g.: if it's disabled you won't be able to select the LUN when selecting a disk for a new VM and because of a bug it won't show up for the 'base volume' drop-down either. So please set it to enabled for the time being. In my test setup the LUN shows up then.

Please set 'content images' for the ISCSI storage in '/etc/pve/storage.cfg' and run
Code:
pvesm list <ISCSI storage name>
Does the LUN show up then?
pvesm comes up empty
If you used 'tgt' to configure the LUN what does running
Code:
tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode target --op show
say?
-bash: tgtadm: command not found

Strangely the iSCSI menu seems to have disappeared after running the commands above

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!