LVM over FC sharing

Spiros Pap

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,

I have a proxmox 5.2 setup with 3 nodes and I have an LVM volume (it resides on SAN over FC) shared between the nodes.

I brought up a VM on node1 and I successfully migrated it to node2. The problem is that now it seems that only node2 can create new VMs on the LVM. Also I can't migrate a VM from node2 to another. It says:

"TASK ERROR: can't activate LV '/dev/volgrp1-3par/vm-103-disk-1': device-mapper: create ioctl on volgrp1--3par-vm--103--disk--1LVM-m7RX9qjzLHrHIpwEJ7d7R4zdPYbJbTEep3vTlc0FdW6nXYbQdxFimtdKOUg313VO failed: Device or resource busy".

Coudl you tell me what is the problem?

Thanx,
Sp

Hi again,

It seems that I can create new VMs on other nodes. The failures are not consistent.
I also did a live migration of a running VM, while another VM can't be migrated (and it does not have any config that prevents it from migrating).

Any ideas?

Sp

Hi LnxBil,

You may find LV,VG,PV at:
http://ajax.noc.ntua.gr/~papage/lvm.txt

Basically there is one VG on the FC LUN and then there are LVs that corresnpond to a few tests I made.
Keep in mind that migration and creation of VMs works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
I'll need to do more tests in order to find a corellation of when it does work and when it doesn't.

Sp

Hi,

No i didn't. I just used the GUI.
1 or 2 VMs were created on node1 (the master node) before creating the cluster.

Sp

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!