LVM and Thin assistance.

Mr_Fussy

Jul 17, 2024
I have a node with a single VM. The node is showing with 100gb of space and backups clog that quickly. The VM has 200gb allocated, more than the node.

I note that the LVM is the 100gb and the LVM-Thin has 800gb. Numbers are rounded for ease, the drive is a 1tb. From research I can reallocate using the shell using something like:

"lvextend -L +500G /dev/pve/root..?"

Can someone help me understand this better. I am struggling to determine the correct file path and code. I would like to comprehend it further for future proofing myself.

Thanks.

Attachments

• lsblk.JPG
    lsblk.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 3
  • lvm.JPG
    lvm.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 3
Rather than irrevocably extend your root filesystem, why not:
create new LV
format it with your favorite filesystem
mount it somewhere temporarily
move context of /var/lib/vz to /temporary
unmount /temporary
mount it to /var/lib/vz
update your fstab to ensure it mounts on reboot
update your /etc/pve/storage.cfg to indicate that its now a mountpoint
enjoy flexible space that you can expand or re-organize without affecting your root filesystem

Remember, you are running a Hypervisor where you can create a VM and do all the testing inside the VM. You can even install virtual PVE.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thanks BB. I'll research making a LV to understand it further. I have a single VM and don't imagine needing further VMs for my use case. With this would making a LV over extending the root be a better option? I'm not an advanced user, just need it to work so I stop running out of space with my backups of my VM.

backups clog that quickly
One more thought: Since your space consumer are backups - its not a good idea to store them on the same physical disk as what you are backing up.
May be you should invest a few $ and get an extra disk...

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Fussy
Actually, that is a much better idea. That passed over my head, did not even occur. Reallocating backups to another drive. The VM or Node does not need more space if this occurs. I probably even have an old drive lying around. So good. Thanks for the brainstorm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!