[SOLVED] Low CPU usage but temp 95+ oC

Indigo

Dec 14, 2020
I am running 3 VMs (Ubuntu server, Home assistant and OpenWRT) and every time when i am downloading something with speed more than 1 MB/s the temp rise 90oC+ and fan is running at max speed.

1699200488330.png

1699200618357.png

VM #1

1699200650338.png

VM #2

1699200668428.png

VM #3

1699200683011.png

Is this normal?

Last edited:
You are running a mobile CPU. Maybe the laptop cooling system/fan is just not very good, is set to be a silent as possible (and therefore hot) or needs cleaning?

EDIT: The CPU base speed is 1.1GHz and it is turboing to 3.2Ghz, which would obviously cause it to heat up a lot more.

Last edited:
My concern was if this is happening at 15% of CPU what will happen at 100%

BTW will check/replace the thermal paste and see if anything change

My concern was if this is happening at 15% of CPU what will happen at 100%
It will probably keep itself below its thermal limit by slowing down (back to 1.1Ghz or lower if it needs to).
BTW will check/replace the thermal paste and see if anything change
Maybe the CPU is design to run as fast a possible as long as power and temperature allow for it. Modern desktop CPUs tend to turbo to 80, 90'C automatically unless you disable turbo (or whatever it is called).

Wrong alarm, looks like it was much simpler than i thought.
Replace thermal paste & blow with air the coil and temperatures drop down to 40 oC

Initially i though that its has to do something with virtualization of the NIC (any bug in kernel).

Just for info, the system is a NUC 10 i7, to reach the fan it little bit challenge for beginning.

Last edited:
Wrong alarm, looks like it was much simpler than i thought.
Replace thermal paste & blow with air the coil and temperatures drop down to 40 oC
Glad to hear you solved it (and that's it not a Proxmox issue). And I see you already found the Solved option. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!