Lot of Containers

Benjiix

Mar 31, 2021
Hello,

I actually use Proxmox on my server, and i would like to know how many containers proxmox can support ?

I have around 500 containers and maybe more in the future..

My server can support more but Proxmox i don't know ahah

And i would like to say thanks you for your job !

Have a great day all !

hi,

it really depends on the resource allocations (like disk, cpu cores, memory etc..), we have customers running clusters with over a thousand containers. if your hardware can handle it, it should be alright ;)

A good question a few years back but the bottlenecks these days are very much hardware. You could host thousands on one node if it has the resources. A more pertinent question would be how do the services perform. For example I find web servers love LXC/Containers whereas MySQL hates them. In the case of web servers they are noticeably slower on VM's than LXC.

Oh okay, i allocate for my debian containers :

512mb ram
1 core
4go HDD

It's only for make proxy so is enough.

I would like to know why on my Pfsense router i see 20% usage ram but on proxmox it's around 70% of usage ram .. ?

Thanks for your reply :)

I would like to know why on my Pfsense router i see 20% usage ram but on proxmox it's around 70% of usage ram .. ?
what output do you get from free -m inside the pfsense VM and on the PVE host?

usually this is a case of cached or buffered memory. also check if you have memory ballooning enabled for your VM.

Yes it's the cache ahah !

and the memory ballooning is enable so it's normal.

But this night my pfsense make an No buffer space available... Im not lucky .. ^^

For example I find web servers love LXC/Containers whereas MySQL hates them. In the case of web servers they are noticeably slower on VM's than LXC.
I do use LXC for both, mysql only, webservers only, and webservers with mysql. Most of them have the same load/config like 5-8 years ago when they run on dedicated hosts. I do not seen any huge diference if you run the same webserver/mysql on a VM compared with a CT(but I see more performance of any CT for many service compared with VM - zfs only)!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!