[SOLVED] Lostmy Backup?

f!R3W4LL

Jul 14, 2021
Hello together
Unfortunately I had a mishap and lost my backup server.
Accordingly, I have decided to rebuild everything. I thought it would be enough to save the data on an external server and then restore it.

So I created a new datastore. Now I wanted to restore the backups, but unfortunately they are no longer displayed. So I assume I was just too stupid to integrate this correctly or do I now have to learn from the mistake and start everything from scratch?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sorry was really tired and late :)

No i had some problems with the network and couldent access the PBS anymore. So i decided to rebuild the whole system. Tought that i could mount again the same harddisk with all Backups on it. For security i exportet the Harddisk, connectednit to a pc and copied all backups on an otherHarddisk. Put it back again an installed the server and PBS.

PBS is up and running again. But for not wasting time i wiped the disk :( and mounted it again as a new Datastore.

After this i connected the external Harddrive and was moving the data back. But i dont see the backups :(

After this i connected the external Harddrive and was moving the data back. But i dont see the backups :(
Did you check the file ownership? should be user "backup" or (if I remember correctly) UID 34.
And did you copy the hidden folder .chunks as well? Thats where the actual data is stored.

Did you check the file ownership? should be user "backup" or (if I remember correctly) UID 34.
And did you copy the hidden folder .chunks as well? Thats where the actual data is stored.
Hi Felix
- Did you check the file ownership? should be user "backup" or (if I remember correctly) UID 34.
No i didnt, how can i check this?
-And did you copy the hidden folder .chunks as well? Thats where the actual data is stored.
Yes i did :)

- Did you check the file ownership? should be user "backup" or (if I remember correctly) UID 34.
No i didnt, how can i check this?
in your datastore folder, execute command "ls -la"
this prints all files with their file ownership and permissions

could you post the output of the command?

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 6 00:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 6 00:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x 6 backup backup 4096 Dec 6 00:10 PBS

Is that inside your datastore?
There should be the .chunks directory.

Probably inside the PBS directory?
Please show the results when inside that directory.

Sorry:

drwxr-xr-x 6 backup backup 4096 Dec 6 00:10 .
drwxr-x--- 1 backup backup 1056768 Dec 6 00:02 .chunks
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 4096 Dec 6 00:10 ct
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 0 Dec 6 00:02 .lock
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Dec 6 00:01 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Dec 6 00:10 vm

So ".chunks" folder missing. Files/folders stating with an "." are hidden. And folders are still owned by root and not the backup user.

Last edited:
Yep, judging by the size, the .chunks is probably "empty" meaning it only contains the default directories created by PBS on datastore creation.
Copy the .chunks directory from your external drive and afterwards fix the file ownership: chown -R backup:backup /path/to/your/datastore

drwxr-x--- 1 backup backup 1056768 Dec 6 00:02 .chunks
There is a lot of data in it, the "1056768" stands for "a lot of" entries. (If it would be empty it would be "4096")

Try ls -al .chunks/ while being in the PBS directory. Or "cd" into it and run "ls" without options.

To know the size of data stored there run du -h -s .chunks which will take some time as it iterates actually through all files.

im just copying the files right now. I know that this folder should be more or less over 100GB
as soon its done ill take this trys ^^

I copyied now everything from the external Drive and tried the suggestions above.

Here what i recived:

drwxr-xr-x 6 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 backup backup 1056768 Dec 7 14:02 .chunks
drwxr-xr-x 15 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 ct
drwxr-xr-x 2 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 9 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 vm
root@cherPVEB01:/mnt/datastore/PBS# du -h -s .chunks/
149G .chunks/

Last edited:
There is a lot of data in it, the "1056768" stands for "a lot of" entries. (If it would be empty it would be "4096")
1056768 bytes are not a lot at all, especially when PBS creates thousands of directories during datastore creation.
Curious is that the size didn't change though.

root@cherPVEB01:/mnt/datastore/PBS# du -h -s .chunks/
149G .chunks/
Looks good.

drwxr-xr-x 6 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 backup backup 1056768 Dec 7 14:02 .chunks
drwxr-xr-x 15 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 ct
drwxr-xr-x 2 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 9 backup backup 4096 Dec 7 14:02 vm
File ownership looks good to me now.
Can you see your backups in the PBS UI now?

Last edited:
It is not the size of data.
My point was about the directory not being filled with "a lot" of data, yes, the ton of directories, but not necessarily chunks.
I considered the chunkstore containing only the directory tree as "empty", pardon my vague wording there.

After he copied the data over, I somewhat expected the size / amount of inodes* to change, because files got added to the directory tree.
Not sure right now if ls works recursively.

Last edited:
1056768 bytes are not a lot at all, especially when PBS creates thousands of directories during datastore creation.
Curious is that the size didn't change though.

Looks good.

File ownership looks good to me now.
Can you see your backups in the PBS UI now?
No cant see anything, is there maybe a chance to let PBS check for files?

is there maybe a chance to let PBS check for files?
Did you try a reboot?
I don't remember exactly if there is a cache or something like that, there was some talk about this a while ago.

Can you also share some screenshots of your PBS Webinterface, of the datastore view for example?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!