Lost SSH during upgrade to 7.1

ptmuldoon

Apr 28, 2012
I went to upgrade my Proxmox set up from 6.4 to 7.1, and things appears to be going well at first.

However, I lost the SSH connection during the upgrade and now unsure if the update completed and/if should attempt to reboot the machine or not.

I can still SSH into the machine and do have local access to it as well.

Currently, if I enter either apt upgrade or apt dist-upgrade, I am told "could not get lock'

and ps aux | grep -i apt shows the following

Last login: Thu Mar 10 11:37:52 2022
root@proxmox:~# apt dist-upgrade
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?
root@proxmox:~# ps aux | grep -i apt
root 6158 0.0 0.1 70056 56636 ? S 10:59 0:01 apt dist-upgrade
root 28471 0.0 0.0 6072 888 pts/2 S+ 11:47 0:00 grep -i apt
root@proxmox:~#

Should I reboot the machine or another way to confirm if the upgrade completed?

Hey,

it should be fine to kill the apt process, then delete the lockfile(/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend) and rerun the upgrade. apt should detect that something is wrong and tell you what to run to fix it(something like dpkg --configure -a, if I remember correctly). Maybe consider taking a look at tools like tmux[1], it allows to create "virtual terminals" to which to can reconnect even after losing ssh.

[1] https://github.com/tmux/tmux

Thanks for the help and that is exactly what I did and it appears everything updated correctly. However the pve-manager is still at 6.4? Should that have also updated?

root@proxmox:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-5-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-13 (running version: 6.4-13/9f411e79)

EDIT: I got it worked out. It was an issue with APT repositories. After correcting than running the upgrade again, everything looks good.

Thanks again for your help!!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!