Lost GUI/host connection but VMs are still up

chop_chop

Feb 4, 2019
SoCal
Strange issue: my VMs are up and running, I can ping them, but all packets are lost when pinging the host ip and GUI web interface is down.

Event:
Issue occurred when I attempted to change routers. I think I assumed the proxmox host would get a new ip address along with its VMs and my other devices and I would pick up where I left off. That didn't happen so I made a few attempts to force it onto the new subnet, failed, and put everything back the way it was on the old router... but proxmox web interface is now down

Background Info:
I have 3 NICs on the machine. currently only one is in use

/etc/network/interfaces looks normal compared with others (attached) note that eth0 has been renamed to eno1, eth1 and eth2 have also been renamed.
IMG_6579.jpeg
/etc/hosts has the same ip as in my routers dhcp address table

I'm connected to the host with keyboard and monitor
ping gateway_ip
ping 8.8.8.8
ping pc_ip
all result in: "connect: Network is unreachable"

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is empty
ifconfig results in "command not found", so I don't have that
pveversion is 5.1-41/0b958203

This is a home use case, VMs are plex, home automation, NAS4Free, and soon to be pfsense

Hi,

Your network config has no IP address setting for them host.
So there is no IP where you can connect to.

Thank you,

I've set the config to "static" /etc/network/interfaces and defined an ip. Required a restart but I got it working

iface eno1 intet static
ip 192.168.1.2
gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!