Looking for upgrades to our storage network (Infiniband? 10Gbe?)

D

d0glesby

Greetings!

First time poster, long time lurker and PVE user. I'm looking to upgrade the network on our PVE systems, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hardware.

I've started looking at Infiniband, and have previously looked at 10Gbit/s ethernet (copper). I'll need to pull the trigger soon, and would like to know what is working well for others.

The cluster I have is made up of three systems:

- (1) FreeNAS host, HP Proliant DL385 G7 w/four gigabit ethernet interfaces (in LACP configuration), 12 CPU cores, 24GB RAM, (24) 600GB 10K SATA drives (ZFS pool), (2) 120GB SSDs for ZFS cache, (2) 120GB SSDs for ZFS logging

- (2) PVE host, HP Proliant DL385 G7 w/ four gigabit ethernet interfaces (in LACP configuration), 24 CPU cores, 192GB RAM, (2) 143GB SAS drives for the OS and local ISO image storage

So far, everything is running great, but we know we're going to hit the limit in our current network configuration for shared storage in the next few months as we move more services off of real machines and into the virtual environment on PVE.

The FreeNAS host is providing shared storage for both of the PVE hosts via NFS.

For such a small network, would Infiniband make sense? Would 10Gbe copper would be easier, if we do not want to involve any switches between the hosts?

Greetings!

First time poster, long time lurker and PVE user. I'm looking to upgrade the network on our PVE systems, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hardware.

I've started looking at Infiniband, and have previously looked at 10Gbit/s ethernet (copper). I'll need to pull the trigger soon, and would like to know what is working well for others.

The cluster I have is made up of three systems:

- (1) FreeNAS host, HP Proliant DL385 G7 w/four gigabit ethernet interfaces (in LACP configuration), 12 CPU cores, 24GB RAM, (24) 600GB 10K SATA drives (ZFS pool), (2) 120GB SSDs for ZFS cache, (2) 120GB SSDs for ZFS logging

- (2) PVE host, HP Proliant DL385 G7 w/ four gigabit ethernet interfaces (in LACP configuration), 24 CPU cores, 192GB RAM, (2) 143GB SAS drives for the OS and local ISO image storage

So far, everything is running great, but we know we're going to hit the limit in our current network configuration for shared storage in the next few months as we move more services off of real machines and into the virtual environment on PVE.

The FreeNAS host is providing shared storage for both of the PVE hosts via NFS.

For such a small network, would Infiniband make sense? Would 10Gbe copper would be easier, if we do not want to involve any switches between the hosts?
Hi,
I have made the experience, that 10GB-Cards are not well supportet by FreeNAS (BSD) - this is one reason, why i go for openATTIC.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!