Looking for help with differential uploads for Proxmox backups using ZSTD compression

Candle9433

Jul 18, 2024
Hi everyone,

I do a weekly backup using Proxmox's built-in backup job with ZSTD compression. My goal is to upload these dumps offsite, but I want to avoid uploading the entire dump each time.

Questions:
  1. Does ZSTD in Proxmox have a --rsyncable flag or similar feature to facilitate differential uploads
  2. If not, is there a way to make these dumps rsyncable by default without writing a separate vzdump script from the GUI?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
VMA files are written out of order, so this is not really working like you think it does, with or without compression messing things up further ;)

you probably want to look into PBS and it's built-in sync mechanism!

VMA files are written out of order, so this is not really working like you think it does, with or without compression messing things up further ;)

you probably want to look into PBS and it's built-in sync mechanism!
Thanks for the quick reply! My infrastructure is currently much too small to add a PBS, so I'll just stick to uploading full dumps. I'll definitely keep that in mind though!

Thanks for your help :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!