Long IOwait on CEPH, rbd device stuck on 100%

Veikko

Dec 4, 2017
Finland
Hi there!
I think I am having a configuration issue on my cluster. It is a 3-node system with 12 OSDs and a separate DB SSD per node. The iowait on one of the hosts is way up, to 15%, while the others have around 2%. Using iostat -x, I see 5 additional devices on that node, which are "rbd0-4", and one of those devices have a static 100% utilization.

What are these devices? On the WebGUI all the disk views, mounts and CEPH settings are identical. I also did "rados -p rbd cleanup" to try to stop any ongoing / stuck performance benchmarks.

I'm using 2-ring 2x1G cluster network, a LAGG group of 2x1G for the VM's, and a separate 1x10G network for storage.

I am on all the newest versions and packages using Community subscription plan. I'll post additional information if needed.

The iowait on one of the hosts is way up, to 15%, while the others have around 2%.
iowait is nothing bad per se, it indicates how much outstanding IO is on the system. One of your VM/CT is doing heavy IO.

What are these devices?
Mapped RBD images. CT/VM running?

OK, I see. There had to be something wrong because there was 5 rbd devices mapped and only 2 containers running on the host. It seems that a CT maps rbd like that, a VM does not.

One of the CT machines was hung up, so I think that was the reason of the 100% utilization of the one rbd mount. I'll follow up if there's something else, but killing the CT:s and restarting the host solved the inconsistency of the IOwaits.

Thanks Alwin!

OK, I see. There had to be something wrong because there was 5 rbd devices mapped and only 2 containers running on the host. It seems that a CT maps rbd like that, a VM does not.
Yes, container need krbd to map its disks (multiple mappings) and VMs can use krbd too but by default use librbd directly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!