Login broken after motherboard swap

altano

Apr 6, 2019
California, US
alan.norbauer.com
I can't seem to even attempt a login anymore after swapping motherboards.

Please note before you read further that the PHYSICAL console login (accessed over IPMI) is broken, not the Web GUI. I know swapping the motherboard rendered my old networking configuration completely wrong. I'm trying to get into the system and fix that networking configuration.

The issue is that I can get to the login prompt but once I enter "root" and hit enter, the login screen freezes for a few seconds and then resets as if nothing happened. Here's what it looks like:

broken-proxmox-login.gif

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any guesses at how I might recover here? I can reinstall Proxmox from scratch if it's not salvageable, it's not the end of the world.

I edited /etc/network/interfaces at the recovery console and after an `ifreload -a` I confirmed with `ip l` and `ip a` that things looked good. When I reboot I still can't login from the normal login prompt (same reset issue in first post) and I can't access the web GUI.

Oh, I didn't see this before, but there's a lot of console errors at the login prompt before it resets the first time:

1679728998724.png

Setting `intel_iommu=off` allowed me to boot and login without error! I was able to do that by editing the grub entry for Proxmox at the boot screen (press 'e') and changing `intel_iommu=on` to `intel_iommu=off`, before pressing F10.

Unsurprisingly, I was wrong, and the VM was set to boot automatically. Now it failed to boot (because of iommu being disabled), which is why I can use Proxmox again.

Further recovery steps:
  • Logged-in to Proxmox
  • Removed the PCI devices from the VM
  • Set the VM to not start at boot
  • Re-enabled intel_iommu in /etc/default/grub, `update-grub`
  • `reboot`
  • Logged-in to Proxmox
  • Confirmed iommu is back on with `dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU` and confirming "DMAR: IOMMU enabled" output
  • Added the correct PCI devices to VM
  • Booted VM up, confirmed it can start without issue.
  • Set it back to auto-start on boot. Rebooted Proxmox with the VM, just to triple check all is well and both Proxmox and the VM come up cleanly.

Reactions: Falk R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!