Local Storage in a Cluster

Gary Parr

Aug 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm new to ProxMox, using it at home for tinkering and general shenanigans. I have two servers that I'm using as hosts in a simple cluster. Host 1 uses a hardware raid and the install threw down a local LVM storage pool. Host 2 has a ZFS pool over 4 scsi disks as ZFS raid 10. When I created the cluster, I started with host 1 and then added in Host 2. Everything works great except...

Both hosts now show LVM and ZFS local storage. This, in and of itself, is no big deal... the LVM storage on Host 2 shows enabled but not active, and the ZFS on Host 1 also shows enabled but not active. Fine... but Host 1 (the hardware RAID box) keeps trying to activate the non-existent local ZFS.

This shows up in SysLog repeatedly...

Code:
pvestatd[2073]: could not activate storage 'local-zfs', zfs error: Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something blindingly obvious, but the Wiki and Forum searches I've done so far have turned up nothing obvious. So, my questions are:
  1. Is there a way to remove the local storage that isn't really local to each host?
    or
  2. if I can't do this, how do I stop Host 1 from trying to activate ZFS without screwing up Host 2 that needs ZFS?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Under Datacenter -> Storage (or CLI) you can limit the storage to Nodes (edit your existing storage entries).

Reactions: Gary Parr
Under Datacenter -> Storage (or CLI) you can limit the storage to Nodes (edit your existing storage entries).

Thanks! It was, as I suspected, something I should have found with my poking around. Not sure how I overlooked that...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!