local (proxmox) storage full

Tizio0o0o0o

Feb 10, 2022
First time using this forum, sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

I recently created a container to use Syncthing. I was able to mount a SMB on Proxmox host and pass just the folder that I need to the LXC with syncthing and now it works as it should do.

from the host, in /etc/fstab
Code:
//XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/folderA /mnt/folderA cifs username=xxxx,password=xxxx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
from the host, in /etc/pve/lxc/100.conf
Code:
mp0: /mnt/folderA,mp=/mnt/folderA,replicate=0

The problem is that at the beginning I mistakenly mounted `/mnt` from the host to `/mnt` of the lxc. I thought that was the correct way of mounting all the folders inside.
from the host, in /etc/pve/lxc/100.conf I did
Code:
mp0: /mnt,mp=/mnt,replicate=0
Later I found that nothing was updating on the SMB share, I was just adding things on the local storage of proxmox host.
Now it is almost full (to the point I'm not longer able to start some lxc) but I'm not able to find the file to delete it!

I know the folder structure where I put them in the lxc (/mnt/folderA) but
  • in the lxc now the folder is mounted properly and I'm not able to find the "old" files
  • in the host, in that path, the SMB was mounted as it should from the beginning
Do you know where these files/folders may be?

Hi,
Later I found that nothing was updating on the SMB share, I was just adding things on the local storage of proxmox host.
Now it is almost full (to the point I'm not longer able to start some lxc) but I'm not able to find the file to delete it!

I know the folder structure where I put them in the lxc (/mnt/folderA) but
  • in the lxc now the folder is mounted properly and I'm not able to find the "old" files
  • in the host, in that path, the SMB was mounted as it should from the beginning
Do you know where these files/folders may be?
it sounds like the files might be in /mnt/folderA on the root file system, i.e. not on the CIFS share. To access them, I think you'll need to stop the container and unmount the CIFS share, because that mount currently "hides" the folder from the root file system. Maybe the CIFS share was not mounted the first time you started the container with the bind mount? Don't forget to mount it again before starting the container.

Hi,

it sounds like the files might be in /mnt/folderA on the root file system, i.e. not on the CIFS share. To access them, I think you'll need to stop the container and unmount the CIFS share, because that mount currently "hides" the folder from the root file system. Maybe the CIFS share was not mounted the first time you started the container with the bind mount? Don't forget to mount it again before starting the container.
Thank you very much, problem solved :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!