local-lvm no space left on device

Thierry Delaunay

Jul 19, 2017
Hello,

I can't write to local-lvm but I can create new VM on this. I have this message when I move or copy a VM:

root@proxmox:/home# mv vm-102-disk-1 /dev/pve/
mv: error writing ‘/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-1’: No space left on device

On GUI, when I look local-lvm summary, I see that I use only 6.02% (48.84 GiB of 811.26 GiB). So I have huge free space.

I tried ftp on this server and I can download only 10MB.

Proxmox VE: 4.4.67

I don't understand why I can't write in local-lvm. Do you have any idea?

Regards,
Thierry

root@proxmox:/home# mv vm-102-disk-1 /dev/pve/
this command makes no sense

/dev/pve is not a real directory, but gives a list of logical volumes in the volume group 'pve' of lvm

where exactly did you get the '/home/vm-102-disk-1' and where do you want it?

for details about lvm see
Code:
man lvm

Thanks for you answer.

My goal is to install a vmdk's vm. So I converted it in raw format in home directory and then I wanted to moved it into /dev/pve. I did it in previous version of PVE with openvz and that worked.

I make may be a mistake. I search a procedure on web to install a vmdk but it's look not easy. Do you a process to install a vmdk in a PVE version 4.4?

Thanks

with pve 4.2 we changed the default vm/container storage from directory based to lvm-thin based

ok i would do the following:

if you are on pve 5:
create the vm you want to have
Code:
qm importdisk <vmid> <path_to_vmdk_file> <storage>

if you are on pve 4:
create a temporary directory storage somewhere
create a vm with an vmdk disk in this directory storage
overwrite the created vmdk with your own
and use "move disk" on the gui to move it to the lvm storage
now you can delete the directory storage again

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your procedure. I'm on pve 4.4
create a temporary directory storage somewhere: OK
create a vm with an vmdk disk in this directory storage: ?? I don't know how to create it. I can't copy a vmdk image into the temporary directory. If I create a new VM in PVE GUI, the VM is build into local-lvm (/dev/pve/) but I can't write in this directory
overwrite the created vmdk with your own: May be a cp command

Sorry, I'm certainly a dummy but before pve 4.2, it was easiest for me to manage pve. Do you have a procedure for dummy?

Regards
Thierry

If I create a new VM in PVE GUI, the VM is build into local-lvm (/dev/pve/) but I can't write in this directory
then your directory storage has not 'images' enabled in the contents options

if you do this, you can create a new vm there with format 'vmdk'

I have a similar problem. I'm trying to restore OpenVZ container from backup. I use the following command:
pct create 101--storage local-lvm /var/lib/vz/dump/1551799449_vps_15013882_15013882.201903030353_03.03.2019.tar
I have this message: No space left on device
What am I doing wrong?

Best Regards
Pavel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!