Local disk vs CEPH for clustered applications?

dragon2611

Renowned Member
Jul 2, 2010
Wanted to get the community's opinion on local (non-redundant) storage for clustered applications.

Essentially what I'm thinking of doing is

Raid1/ZFS mirrored SSD for Proxmox itself.
CEPH for VM general disks

But then I'm wondering for applications where the application is clustered and replicating data between cluster members (E.g ELK/Clustered SQL.etc) if it makes sense to use local storage since the application is already handling data replication.

It is easier to get good performance on a local storage as it doesn't have any network roundtrips involved.

If you only run clustered applications and don't need to use the Proxmox VE HA stack (since the application handles the loss of a node and the VMs running on it) I would probably opt for the simpler variant of local storage.

Others might have different opinion or other reasons :)

Yes, we usually work with clustered apps(wildfly,etc) with local storage, and of course it is really fast.

Wanted to get the community's opinion on local (non-redundant) storage for clustered applications.

Essentially what I'm thinking of doing is

Raid1/ZFS mirrored SSD for Proxmox itself.
CEPH for VM general disks

But then I'm wondering for applications where the application is clustered and replicating data between cluster members (E.g ELK/Clustered SQL.etc) if it makes sense to use local storage since the application is already handling data replication.
It's true that local storage is faster but I use Ceph straight up for VMs. That includes apps that do their own replication. No issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!