load VMs from an old Drive to my new proxmox

esferoscar

Jan 17, 2021
hi guys, i have re installed proxmox in my server, it can see the drives and in the content there are the old VMs but i dont know how can import the VMs from the disk, and turn on one of them.

1610858902088.png

i need to turn on the highlight machine, how can i do that?

thx in advance.

Those are only your VM disks.
Your VM configuration is missing / not there.
Option 1: rebuild VM config
Option 2: get VM configs from your old system (/etc/PVE/qemu-server)

thx a lot for you promp reply tburger, but i am really new in this topic, could you give a guide how can i do these option? i have checked the path but there are only the new VMs configs, i guess it would be easier if i can see the same path ("old disk" /etc/PVE/quemu-server) but i cant see that content in the old hard disk, how can do that buddy?

thx alot of

...only the new VMs configs
You would need to check your old system. Of course on your new system only the new VM configs are stored in this place.

... i cant see that content in the old hard disk
Of course you cant, because that path isn't stored in that place. Only the disks of your VMs is stored in this place.
, how can do that buddy
You need to note your VM IDs (you can get those from your existing disk).
Then create a VM with the corresponding ID and you should be able to attach the existing disks from your (legacy) storage.
PVE relies on these IDs to identify the components that belong to a VM.

HTH. Good luck

There's no way to attach existing virtual hard drives via the gui - as far as I know

My advice would be

1. create a VM with and ID of XXX which has the same specs as the original virtual machine (or as close as you can remember) except for the virtual hard drive which just needs to be on the same storage and using the same emulation (IDE/Virtio/SCSI etc) - size does not matter just make it a few gigs.
2. Open a shell on the proxmox host and edit the config file of your new VM - i.e nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/XXX.conf
3. Change the line which defines the VM hard drive to match the name of the virtual disk you wish to use
virtio0: antiguo-archivos:vm-101-disk-1,size=50G
4. boot VM
5. (optional) migrate disk to production storage

Good luck

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!