Load VirtIO Disk Drivers Windows VMs

RGEORGE

Sep 6, 2024
I need help to load the VirtIO SCSI drivers for a Win 10 VM install. Everything I try fails. The drivers ISO file is virtio-win-0.1.262.iso and it has the correct driver files for Win 10 but the Windows install program keeps saying that there are no signed drivers in the iso file. Tried the Shift F10 to command prompt but none of the suggested commands will work (bcdedit, shutdown /r /o /f /t 0). Have not tried including the driver files in the iso image yet, but I guess that is a next step.
I am sure there must be a simple way to get Win 10 installed with the VirtIO disk drivers. Please Help.

Robert George

Are you selecting the "lowest" folder on that iso, so not just the CD-drive?

One other way you could try for a single VM, mostly to test if the iso itself is ok, would be to change the disk from scsi to sata (detach the disk, re-attach as sata), install as normal, from within Windows 10 run the installer from the ISO.
Add a second drive as scsi, reboot, shutdown (don't shutdown right away, it needs to see the scsi disk during a boot once), detach the sata-disk and re-attach it as scsi again, then boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!