Live-migrate outside of cluster

tincboy

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2010
I have few PVE nodes and some times I need to transfer VMs between them but they are not in a cluster.
Does anyone know a trick on how to live-migrate a VM between nodes which are not in a cluster?

This is currently not possible. Cross-cluster migration and useability is on the roadmap, but not available yet.

you need to create an api token on destination cluster, then on source cluster
exemple:

Code:
qm remote-migrate <srcvmid> <dstvmid> 'apitoken=PVEAPIToken=root@pam!migrator=efgD9b785-f0f3-47bb-8553-26F1166c6ed0,host=remotehost.fqdn' --target-bridge vmbr0:vmbrX,vmbr1:vmbry --target-storage localstorage:deststorage --online

works online only currently

Reactions: Neobin
works online only currently
Certain storage combinations only work online (e.g. our RBD plugin doesn't implement offline export/import currently), but others work just fine offline (e.g. ZFS -> ZFS, dir -> dir).

Reactions: Neobin
Stefan_R, et alia:

The original poster (OP) was asking about several nodes that were entirely not clustered at all and the answer given was regarding "cross-cluster" (meaning two different clusters exist and you wish to move betwixt the two). I am curious to know if the OP's original question is actually being answered?

My question of course has not been asked yet and that is concerning the migration (live or not-live) betwixt a cluster of nodes and a singular node not part of any cluster at all.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart, N3GWG

All,

Please allow me to proffer this hypothetical:

If one has two different clusters each with 3 nodes ("cluster1" and "cluster2") along with a single un-clustered node "node-unclustered". Is there a "Datacenter view" that will show you all of cluster1 and its nodes, cluster2 and its nodes, and the unclustered node?

Stuart, N3GWG

All,

Please allow me to proffer this hypothetical:

If one has two different clusters each with 3 nodes ("cluster1" and "cluster2") along with a single un-clustered node "node-unclustered". Is there a "Datacenter view" that will show you all of cluster1 and its nodes, cluster2 and its nodes, and the unclustered node?

Stuart, N3GWG
Cross-cluster migration is one of the steps that needed to be taken to make something like that usable. A datacenter manager is planned (can't give any ETA though): https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/multi-datacenter-management.66830/page-2

Fiona, et alia:

Thank you. It's the middle of night here and I am going back to bed.

Stuart, N3GWG

I tried to do a test migration from one cluster to another:

Code:
qm remote-migrate 2644 2644 apitoken='PVEAPIToken=xxxxxxxxxxxx',host=10.0.3.106,fingerprint=XX:XX:XX,port=8006 --target-storage osdpool --target-bridge vmbr0:vmbr0 --online

But always show an error "remote: storage 'osdpool' does not exist!"
The target name exists.

What I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks

I tried to do a test migration from one cluster to another:

Code:
qm remote-migrate 2644 2644 apitoken='PVEAPIToken=xxxxxxxxxxxx',host=10.0.3.106,fingerprint=XX:XX:XX,port=8006 --target-storage osdpool --target-bridge vmbr0:vmbr0 --online

But always show an error "remote: storage 'osdpool' does not exist!"
The target name exists.

What I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks
does the apitoekn have acl/permissions on the storage ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!